Nursing careers resource
Welcome to this careers resource, which has been jointly developed by the Royal College of Nursing and Health Education England to help registered nurses and the clinical support workforce across the UK plan their health careers effectively.
This web resource is designed to provide you with a range of ideas about the varying roles that you can enjoy throughout your health career. We hope this inspires and motivates you to proactively plan your next career move.
The resource is divided into two sections, registered nurses and the clinical support workforce. As development of this resource progresses, it will become a tool that provides career guidance for all nurses, nursing associates and the support workforce. Click on one of the boxes below to access the information relevant to you.
The resource has been developed to:
- showcase the different roles within health care via a range of scenarios
- include a case study and a video or podcast of a registered nurse or clinical support worker currently working in that role
- enable you to identify an area of practice that you hope to enjoy
- help you to understand how you might make this change
- identify what education or training you might need to plan and undertake
- highlight career options from these roles.
The resource was launched at Congress 2019 - you can watch a recording of the launch event here. If you haven't done so already, you will need to register for a free RCNevents.tv account to access this.
In addition to the above pages, the RCN also has a careers service, which contains a variety of resources to support nurses looking for career progression or applying for their first job.
UK wide resources
The career resource is UK wide and applicable to all those working in all healthcare sectors. There are some key resources for each country below:
- Department of Health - Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professions (AHPs)
- NIPEC Northern Ireland Career Pathway for Nursing and Midwifery